Suzuki Motorcycles has announced the launch of the all-new 2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000 in Europe. Complete with a new more powerful, compact and cleaner running engine, updated chassis and suspension and all new titanium dual exhaust cans.
Looks of the 2009 GSX-R1000 have been updated as well, with the new GSX-R1000 looking sharper than the previous models and the new exhausts making it look far batter than the 2008 model.
2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Features:
- 999cm3 4-cylinder powerplant, designed lighter and 59.6mm shorter from front to rear, delivers more power and torque, and enhanced throttle response across the entire rpm range.
- The new compact engine enabled 10mm shorter wheelbase and 33mm longer swingarm to improve racetrack performance.
- New, more over-square bore x stroke of 74.5mm x 57.3mm (changed from 73.4mm x 59.0mm) gives the engine better overall tuning potential. The compression ratio is now 12.8:1, changed from 12.5:1.
- The engine employs enlarged titanium valves in diameter, forged pistons, shot-peened conrods and Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinders integrated into the crankcase, reducing friction and improving heat transfer, durability and ring seal.
- 12-hole fuel injectors produce a finer fuel mist for more complete combustion, reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
- Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) offers push-button selection of three performance settings to suit riding conditions and personal tastes. Now the switch is relocated on the left handlebar control module.
- Iridium spark plugs produce a stronger spark for better combustion.
- Large, efficient radiator with a trapezoidal shape developed on factory team racebikes and a trapezoidal engine oil cooler both help reduce drag.
- Cable-operated back-torque-limiting clutch makes for efficient clutch operation with superb feel.
- Unique Suzuki Advanced Exhaust System (SAES) uses an under-engine chamber and low-slung, large-volume MotoGP-inspired titanium mufflers.
- Twin-spar cradle frame made of five cast sections, mated with an arched swingarm made of three castings and one-piece die-cast rear subframe.
- Big Piston Frontforks (BPF) with an endurance-race-proven design delivers superb feedback and responsive, stable operation, and are lightweight.
- Rear shock absorber features adjustable rebound damping, spring preload, and both high-speed and low-speed compression damping
- Front brakes with fully floating 310mm discs and rigid, lightweight race-proven monoblock forged radial-mount calipers.
- The edgy and clean GSX-R1000 styling incorporates fairing and bodywork details aimed at reducing turbulence and drag.
- Attention to rider comfort includes a carefully shaped seat and adjustable footpegs. Tailsection cover included for solo rides or track days.
- Sculpted fuel tank is lighter, while capacity remains 17.5 liters (4.6 US gal).
- New look multi-reflector headlight with vertically stacked high and low-beam halogen bulbs centered between position lights on each side.
- Front and rear turn signals feature clear lenses over amber bulbs.
- Instruments include a silver-ringed analog tachometer with LCD speedometer. LCD readouts include odometer, dual trip meters, reserve trip meter, clock, coolant temperature/oil pressure warning indicator, gear position indicator, lap timer/stopwatch, S-DMS setting indicator and bar-graph indicating the instrument lighting level, or brightness.
2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Specifications:
Engine Type: 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC
Bore x Stroke: 74.5 mm x 57.3 mm
Engine Displacement: 999 cm3 (cc)
Compression Ratio: 12.8 : 1
Carburetion: Fuel injection
Oil Capacity (overhaul): 3.6L (1.0 US gal.)
Ignition: Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
Starter System: Electric
Lubrication System: Wet sump
Transmission: 6-speed constant mesh
Primary Drive Ratio: 1.617 (76 / 47)
Final Drive Ratio: 2.471 (42 / 17)
Frame Type: Twin-spar (aluminum alloy)
Rake/Trail: 23.8 degrees / 98.3 mm (3.9 in.)
Suspension (Front): Inverted telescopic, coil spring, spring preload fully adjustable, rebound and compression damping force fully adjustable
Suspension (Rear): Link type, oil damped, coil spring, spring preload fully adjustable, rebound and compression damping force 2-way fully adjustable
Wheel Front: 17 M/C x MT3.50, cast aluminum-alloy
Wheel Rear: 17 M/C x MT6.00, cast aluminum-alloy
Brakes (Front): Radial mount, 4-piston calipers 310 mm disc, twin
Brakes (Rear): 1-piston caliper, 220 mm disc
Tires (Front): 120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless
Tires (Rear): 190/50ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless
Fuel Tank: 17.5 L (4.6 US gal.)
Overall Length: 2,045 mm (80.5 in.)
Overall Width: 710 mm (28.0 in.)
Overall Height: 1,130 mm (44.5 in.)
Wheelbase: 1,405 mm (55.3 in.)
Ground Clearance: 130mm (5.1 in.)
Seat Height: 810 mm (31.9 in.)
Curb Mass: 203kg (448 lbs.)